Thursday, November 19, 2009

happy early Thanksgiving!

Yup, here at adventuresofnicoleandrob.blogspot.com, we're celebrating a week early. PS: when the hell did it become NOVEMBER?!?!?! Less than six weeks until Christmas = not okay. Urgh.

So. Since Rob will be in Costa Rica on the day of Thanksgiving, I cooked up a mini-version of the feast on Saturday using a few o' Rachel Ray's speedy recipes. Naturally, I modified the hell out of 'em (turkey thighs with skin? nah...I'll go with skinless breasts, thankyouverymuch), but it was edible, which is more than I can say for a certain soup I attempted recently...


The menu:
  • Early Bird Turkey with Pan Gravy (Dear RR, where the HELL were my pan-drippings for said gravy?! Liar.)
  • Apple-and-Date Stuffing (which became Apple-and-Raisin-and-Cranberry Stuffing)
  • Golden Mashed Taters

The supplies:

(yes, wine is a crucial supply...)

The results (just 1 hour and 10 minutes later!):


While the turkey looks suuuuuper white and bland in this shot, and I couldn't find thyme to save my life today, it was pretty good. The star of the show, in my opinion, was the stuffing. Legit. Annnnnd, Rob had never had sausage in stuffing before, so I may have created a monster...

Trader Joe's was lacking in the pumpkin dessert department, so we opted for something just as good for us...nothing says fat-and-happy like a microwaveable lava cake...FTW

I love our point&shoot's macro:



Our early Turkey Day made me anxious for two things: 1 - the real T-Day (and the accompanying pumpkin pie) and 2 - Rob to be home (4 weeks and counting!)

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy!! I nominate you and Louise to cook all our Essdee holiday dinners. I make a kick-ass assistant and dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete