Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Estoy una gringa en Mexico

Today is my first official day on my own. Monday, I went to classes and checked out the MBA campus with Rob and crew, and Rob skipped class yesterday in favor of resting (he's been ridiculously sick...let's add this to the growing list of reasons that I don't plan to visit China, shall we?!).

I started off by heading to this adorable-looking coffee shop around the corner, and found that it's primarily a bubble-tea shop. The guy who worked there was rad and realized that my Spanish isn't the greatest. He helped me practice, and made an interesting concoction as my beverage: cold coffee and some caramel-y liquid heated up in the microwave, then tossed in a blender with God-knows-what, and poured over a bunch of those little tapioca bubble things. Odd, yes. Surprisingly good, yup. After a few minutes of conversing (and my asking if there were any Spanish language schools nearby - more on that later), I left feeling pretty good - and not entirely incapable of holding an elementary level conversation in Spanish.

my cafe, complete with a giant straw, for sucking up the little tapioca balls, I'm told...

I headed to the undergrad campus (a.k.a. ITESM - Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey...or something) to soak up some sun, be outside the apartment, and immerse myself in some language. The campus looks just like San Diego State's campus, so I'm immediately at ease there. The place has random wildlife roaming free: deer chewing up the lawns and peacocks that scream like cats.

damn, I need to work on my photo skills...although in my defense, it was full-on noontime sun

after screaming it's head off, the peacock totally chased a couple of cats away from their food, and started eating from the dish!

The style here is definitely LA-esque. I've seen jeans tucked into boots, those random lightweight scarves, funky sunglasses, Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts, Coach & Fendi bags, you name it...
(sidenote/rant: Missing, however, are emo-bangs. Specifically mine. I'm HATING these things right now...they're too freaking short and I look like a fourth grader. Grow, damn you, grow!)
Although I feel like I totally stand out, after taking a minute to really look around, I'm definitely not the only gringa here, even outside of the T-bird population...


Rob will be in class for another few hours, during which I plan to head to the local pharmacia & 7-11 in hopes of finding some delicious (non-taco) goodness to whip up for dinner. We have eaten out every night since we arrived, and it's getting old. We found a stellar hamburger/torta place, an expensive Italian restaurant, and have eaten more tacos than necessary. With WalMart a short, perfectly safe, 30P cab ride from here, I'll play it safe and not venture there alone (you're welcome, Mom!).

Spanish school: Okay, so in Antigua, Guatemala, there are Spanish schools on every cobblestone block. Seriously. I figured that, since Monterrey is growing exponentially in tourism popularity, there would be at least one here. I've asked the school that Rob's attending, the administration at our apartment complex, and just about every shopkeeper in a 3-block radius, to no avail. UGH! We're currently emailing people back home who have done business/Rotary work here in hopes that they can steer us in any direction. I'd KILL to be conversant, and will feel lame if I leave here without some mad Spanish skills.

I'll leave you with one final pic: Rob on the steps of our apartments...the window over his left shoulder is mine!

6 comments:

  1. can you do volunteer work for the school that is hosting the thunderbird folks? plan b might be immursion without formal schooling.

    i feel better now that i've made a useless suggestion.

    i like the look of the cat in the peacock photo. like i've put up my token resistance and i wish that stupid bird would leave... but i'll just chill out here until he does.

    nice post btw... keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. also... nice to see that the trial lawyers are thriving internationally... what does the caution say at the bottom of the coffee cup?

    the joy of me adding my profile to my comments is that when you get sick of them you can ban me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including a pic of deer PEEN. You're disgusting and should really consider posting less porn, lest (less? what?) you offend your gentle feeble minded readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should get a job as a wal mart greeter. Perfect! You could work your spanish, get food discounts, stop bugging Rob at school and not have to worry about finding a dentist....

    DH

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Birkin bags? Hmmm...

    Miss you!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. brian - that IS a good idea actually, and I'm so glad you feel better after commenting...
    the cup doesn't say "caucion: caliente" like it should, which actually did make me wonder if they could be sued since it wasn't in Spanish - hah!

    Sum - you're very welcome, I know how you like weiners.

    DH - I do like good dental insurance...and how hard could it really be to say "hola" and "adios" and "alto, puta!"?! I'll keep that in mind!

    Lis - I noticed the lack of Birkin's as well, and I think they must be reserved for only the super-bad-ass : ] Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete