I had my first meeting with my Spanish instructor today!
We spent an hour together at the ITESM library, and spoke entirely in Spanish. Apparently, being a language professor doesn't necessarily mean that you have to speak any another language. Cool...makes me really work for it! It is exhausting, however.
We covered some things that I'm already comfortable with (estar y ser...meaning "I am" in the temporary/permanent form, respectively). We unknowingly reviewed a lot of verb conjugation that I'd flat-out forgotten how to do, and erroneously thought I was rid of for life (the past and future tenses of estar y ser...much more difficult).
All in all, I think it went pretty well. We'll meet on Tuesdays (el martes) for one hour and Thursdays (el jueves) for two. I picked up two third-grade level (that's right...I've got mad skills) Spanish workbooks for a whopping 40P to practice with. Our focus will be fluidity and speed. I hear things well, says Maestra Lupina, but I need to speed up my hearing and speaking. It's nice to have a goal, right?!
My homework for tonight and tomorrow is to speak in only Spanish to my roommates. It will be difficult because they don't know a lot of Spanish. After my class, Rob was playing a game on his computer, and I wrote many things in Spanish in my notebook. I'm also practicing talking in the shops near my apartment.
(Mi tarea por esta noche y la manana es hablo en solamente Espanol con mis companeros. Sera dificil porque ellos no saben mucho Espanol. Despues de mi clase, Rob fue jugando una partida en su computadora, y yo escribio muchas cosas en Espanol en mi cuaderno. Practicando habler en los tiendas cerca de mi apartamento, tambien.)
Blogging in Spanglish counts as talking to my roommates en Espanol, right?! Maybe not...be it's better than nothing (es lo mejor de nada)!
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hmmmm. got an error message trying to comment on your post with the picture of the "one pot". i'll check that again later. nice pot picture. i'm sure you'll have fond memories of it for years to come.
ReplyDeletegood for you on the spanish language instruction. sounds very worthwhile. not sure i'll follow all the spanish posts as i only took it in junior high and translating thru google is tedious.
maybe not so tedious... he's what an online translator worked out after a quick cut and paste.
ReplyDeleteMy task in this night and the morning it is I speak in only Spanish with my partners. It will be difficult because they do not know Very much Spanish. After my class, Rob was playing a game in his computer, and I he wrote many things in Spanish in my notebook. Practising habler in the shops next to my apartment, also.)
Very impressive. I love the word conjugate. It's fun to use in random sentences. Could I please have a congegate with my taco....I could conjugate at LA BIBLIOTECA....LK
ReplyDeleteI've been using this site to confirm what I'm saying before sending emails (nothing like completely offending someone by accident. If I'm going to piss someone off, I'm going to do it right!):
ReplyDeletehttp://www.spanishdict.com/translation
So far, so good. Like most things, you've gotta take most of the translations with a grain of salt...
Please do not conjugate at me.
ReplyDeletePlease refrain from conjugation in church.
Your mom conjugates.
How're those, Mom?! : ]